Lesson Plan - Get It!
What mode of transportation allowed the United States to quickly grow, and people to spread out across the land during the 1800s? Have you ever heard of the Iron Horse?
The railroad is an important part of U.S. history.
Before the railroad, it was difficult for people to travel and move west. It would take a family two to three months to travel west by wagon. The journey by wagon was also dangerous and many people died from disease, drowning in rivers, and attacks by wild animals. Would you be willing to travel west if you knew you would face these challenges? Discuss your response with your teacher or parent.
The railroad made it much easier and safer for people to move and travel west. Whereas it had previously taken several months for people to travel west, the railroad allowed people to make the journey in about five to seven days. Since the travel time was much shorter and people were not exposed to the elements while riding on a train, few deaths occurred as people made their way westward.
Check out the timeline below to learn more about the history of the railroad in the United States:
As you can see, the railroad played an important part in the growth of the United States in the 1800s. Use the timeline to help you answer the following questions. Write your answers on a separate piece of paper:
- Why was the railroad a better method for traveling west compared to early forms of trave,l such as wagons?
- How did the railroad help improve trade in the United States?
- How did the railroad help the United States expand?
- Why is the Transcontinental Railroad considered the most important part of railroad history?
- Why did people stop using the railroads in the 1920s?
- Early steam engines were called "iron horses." Why do you think that name came about?
When you are finished writing your answers to the questions, discuss your responses with your teacher or parent. Then, discuss if you have ever seen or ridden on a train.
- If so, what was the experience like?
- How would traveling by train be more comfortable than traveling by wagon?
When you are finished discussing, move on to the Got It? section to learn more about the railroads by playing an online game.