Lesson Plan - Get It!
- What U.S. state is pictured above?
- How many countries owned it before it became a state?
Texas is the second-largest state in the United States and is known for its hot temperatures and unique western culture.
Interestingly, the region of Texas belonged to many different countries before it finally became part of the United States.
As you learn about the history of Texas, take notes on a separate piece of paper so you can use them to help you with the activities in the Got It? and Go! sections:
Click on and drag the different parts of the interactive timeline below to explore the history of Texas and how it became part of the United States:
If you would like to learn more, check out the Texas History Timeline from the Bullock Museum.
After you have finished reviewing the timeline, write the answers to the following questions on a separate piece of paper;
- What countries claimed Texas before it became part of the United States?
- Why do you think Texas was passed through so many hands before becoming part of the United States?
- Why was it beneficial for Texas to become part of the United States?
As you can see, Texas has a diverse history and has changed significantly between 1500 and 1900.
When you are ready, move on to the Got It? section to see if you can remember the events from Texas' history and put those events in the correct order.