Lesson Plan - Get It!
Like most young people, you might dream of a day when you have plenty of your own cash, and you can spend it however you want. You may have even already obtained your first job and earned real money. There are many ways to earn money and build your own life: some people do it by hard, physical labor, while others do this through creative jobs or work accomplished at a desk. Some people make their money by investing — giving money to people or companies who use that money to make more money.
Reflect on the following questions and discuss with your parent or teacher:
- What are investments?
- Why are investments so important in our economy?
- What kinds of investments already impact our lives, even if we don't play the stock market?
In this lesson, you will explore stock investment, and even develop your own imaginary stock portfolio!
You may already have a job, or have friends who work.
Based on your earnings from a job, you could probably buy yourself some nice items, or buy food, drinks, or movie tickets to hang out with your friends. But imagine a job, at your age, in which you earned thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars a year!
Watch a video about a young man, Damon Williams, who has just such a job. As you watch, write down the answers to these questions:
- What does Williams do differently from other people his age?
- How did he learn all he knows about investments?
- What does he get for all his efforts?
Watch the video, Millionaire in the Making, by Teen Entertainment:
Share your responses to the questions with your parent or teacher. Reflect on the following questions and discuss:
- How is Williams different from you or other people you know?
- Can you imagine yourself living and working like him? Why or why not?
Many people would be amazed that a teenager could do things that most adults couldn't do, yet Williams began with just a few simple principles, and the determination to build basic skills.
In the Got It? section, you will explore some of the very same skills Williams uses every day to build his earnings.