Lesson Plan - Get It!
- Do you feel like you are getting pretty good at changing the largest of large numbers and the smallest of decimals into more manageable scientific notation?
Now's your time to shine, using those scientific notation skills to shrink those cumbersome numbers and convert them back to standard form!
You may be excited to begin counting all those spaces and performing all those conversions, but let's take a few minutes to review the process before we get started!
Here's a short video, Scientific Notation – Conversion by Math Meeting, to help you review and get ready for all the math fun to come!
- By the way, do you know the weight of the earth?
- Do you know the weight of the earth now?
- Why do we need to use scientific notation when we talk about things like the earth's or sun's weight?
Okay, now let's review the process. That video provided an example of each conversion in this order:
- from scientific notation to large number in standard form (just the number itself!)
- from scientific notation to small number in standard form (same!)
- from large number to scientific notation
- from small decimal number to scientific notation
If that made sense, then head to the Got It? section to try some problems on your own.
If you need to pause and re-watch the examples, please take your time and do so. It never hurts to review problems more than once.