Lesson Plan - Get It!
- If the sky looked cloudy, would you bring your umbrella?
- If it were snowing outside, would you wear your winter coat?
- If you wanted to have a bunch of healthy energy for soccer practice, would you eat a ton of donuts right before the game?
Decisions, decisions! They're everywhere! You decide what to eat. You decide what to wear.
You make choices every day!
- Ask yourself, are all your choices good?
- Are they all healthy for your mind and body?
If these questions are making you think really hard, that's great!
Put on your thinking cap, and let's learn about making good choices!
Life is full of choices every day!
You choose what to eat for breakfast, which outfit to wear for the day, and how you will react to your sibling when he or she makes you angry!
Choices make you to think about what will happen in the future.
For example, sometimes you choose to wear your tennis shoes because you know you are going to play outside. On other days, you choose to wear flip flops because you are going to the beach!
Even when you don't realize it, you are thinking about the pros and cons of a certain decision.
The pros are the things that are good about it.
The cons are the things that are bad!
- If you choose to wear sandals instead of boots on a long hike, what will happen?
Pros: You like wearing sandals, and they're easy to put on.
Cons: Your feet will get dirty. The rocks will hurt your feet. Your feet will slip more.
If you choose not to wear a jacket on a cold day:
Pros: It's easy to run out and play without taking a jacket.
Cons: You might get cold. Your parents might get upset!
You may not think that making a healthy choice is a skill, but it is! Start using this skill today, and you'll be a better person tomorrow!
- What are some choices you can make today?
Choosing to read a book instead of watching TV or playing video games.
Eating fruit for dessert instead of cookies or cake.
Taking a time-out to calm down when you're angry.
Watch this video about listing pros and cons and making good decisions!
Innoventure Jr: Making Decisions from Innoventure NMSU:
- Can you think of a time where you have had to make a choice?
Maybe your parents told you something, but you were tempted to break the rule when they weren't around.
It's not easy to make good choices!
Sometimes we feel like we're missing out on something if we choose the right thing. But we must always think about the future: What will happen if I do this?
A pros and cons list can be helpful, so let's try it out!
Head over to the Got It? section!