Lesson Plan - Get It!
Your help is needed to complete a top secret math mission! The Master Math computer has been hacked and the password was reset. To get back into the computer, you will need to convert fractions into decimals. Can you crack the code?
Here is your first mission: Convert 2⁄5 into a decimal.
- How will you complete your mission?
- What do you need to do to convert a fraction to a decimal?
Share your ideas with a parent or teacher.
Did you think about division? You can use long division to convert a fraction to a decimal. Simply divide the numerator (the top number) by the denominator (the bottom number) to find the equivalent decimal.
For example, what is the decimal form of 2⁄5?
So, 2⁄5 is equal to 0.4!
Watch more examples with a video. Take notes as you watch Math Antics – Convert any Fraction to a Decimal.
- What is the difference between the hard way and the easy way to convert fractions to decimals?
- Where do you point the decimal point?
Listen to a Numberock song to learn how to use division to convert fractions to decimals. As you listen to Converting Fractions to Decimals Song by NUMBEROCK, answer the following questions on a piece of paper:
- Where does the numerator go in the division problem?
- Where does the denominator go in the division problem?
- What two things do you add to the numerator in the division problem?
After listening to the song, share your answers with a parent or teacher. In the song, the character converted fractions into decimals for his homework. Fractions and decimals are also used in science and statistics.
When do you think you will need to change fractions into decimals in real life? Discuss your ideas with a parent or teacher.
Then, go to the Got It? section to find your next mission.