Lesson Plan - Get It!
What are some reasons people might need to use a secret code?
HVXIG XLWVH ZIV UFM!
Can you understand that sentence? It says, “Secret codes are fun!” It’s true, secret codes are a lot of fun, but they are also serious business. Governments and technology companies spend a lot of money to make better and more complicated secret codes. Learn more about the science of secret codes by visiting The Secret Language and other provided resources by Ron Hipschman. As you read, write down the answers to these questions:
- What is the name of the science of secret codes?
- What do we call the people who create or break secret codes?
- How were Native Americans involved in breaking secret codes during World War II?
- How are these secret codes used today?
Share your information with your parent or teacher, then discuss together:
- What are some situations in which it is really important for people to have privacy and to keep secrets?
There are so many different kinds of codes. If there were only a few, someone would figure them all out and there would be no use having a secret code at all!
In the Got It? section, learn about some real codes and how they work.