Lesson Plan - Get It!
International Nurses Day is celebrated on May 12 every year. That date was chosen because it is the birthday of a famous nurse. Who was this most famous nurse in history?
Sometimes, good things come from bad circumstances, even when we’re not expecting them!
That was the case with the Crimean War. The Crimean War was a terrible war that many consider the first modern war. Even though hundreds of thousands of people were killed, there was one good thing that came out of the conflict.
Learn more about the Crimean War first. As you read a short article about the war (below), note the answers to the following questions:
- Which countries were involved in the war?
- What were they fighting about?
- When and where did the war take place?
- How was this war different from previous wars?
Now, read one of the following articles:
Collect your answers, share them with your parent or teacher, then discuss the following questions:
- Why would some historians call this the first modern war?
- How can bad situations actually produce some good?
- Can you think of any examples of good coming from bad?
This war, like most wars, resulted in senseless death and widespread destruction.
In the Got It? section, read about one big benefit that came out of the Crimean War.