Lesson Plan - Get It!
If you could visit the top seven most amazing human-built structures in the world, what — and where — would they be?
Over the course of history, human beings have become pretty good at building things.
We can now construct tall buildings with dozens of floors, buildings that tunnel deep into the ground, and buildings that are submerged in the ocean waters.
A few of these buildings have become landmarks known all around the world. One World Trade Center in New York, Burj Khalifa in Dubai, and Shanghai Tower in China — these wonders of construction have all become famous for being so tall. You can see these and other modern wonders in the article, 10 Tallest Buildings In The World, courtesy of worldatlas.
Learn about more of the amazing buildings human beings have built. As you browse the photo-gallery, The world’s 25 greatest modern buildings, by Winnie So and Viviano Villarreal, from CNN, answer these questions:
- What makes these buildings so great?
- What kinds of technology and resources do you think were needed to build them?
- Which of these buildings do you think will be around in two thousand years’ time?
Share your answers with your parent or teacher, then discuss these questions together:
- Why are people so interested in building great, eye-catching buildings?
- How do you think the construction of these wonders has changed over the centuries?
- Having looked at some great modern architecture, what are some of the great buildings of the ancient world that you know about?
You had the chance to examine some of the building wonders of the modern world.
In the Got It? section, explore some of the buildings and other structures that were considered the greatest wonders of all in the ancient world!