Lesson Plan - Get It!
Cindy has a dictionary and is trying to find the word joyful in it.
- Where does she begin looking for this word?
Tell your teacher what you would do to find the word joyful.
Before you begin this lesson, you may want to complete the Elephango lesson on guide words found in the right-hand sidebar under Additional Resources.
If you missed or would like to review any of the other previous Related Lessons in this Dictionary Skills series, find them in the right-hand sidebar.
- Did you know the words in the dictionary are arranged in alphabetical order?
It's true! Take a moment to watch How To Use the Dictionary | Kids Video from Creators365:
Next, follow the steps below and try using the dictionary.
- To find the word joyful in the dictionary, you would look for the J section in the dictionary.
- Once you find this section, you will look at the second letter, o. Let's look for joyful in the dictionary. Open your dictionary and find the J words.
- Next, you will look at the guide words at the top of the page.
- Every dictionary has different guide words at the top of the page. In one dictionary, you will find the guide words, joy-justifiable at the top of the page.
- You will look at the third letter in the word joyful. Joyful comes after the word joy and before the word justifiable. Look on this page for the word.
What guide words are on the page of your dictionary where you found the word joyful?
In the Got It? section, you get to practice putting words in alphabetical order, just like the dictionary!