Lesson Plan - Get It!
- Have you ever seen anything like what is in the video below?
This is called a murmuration of starlings. As these birds migrate, they whirl in the sky. The way it looks is not the only amazing thing about it!
- How do birds know how to migrate?
- Can they see things that humans can't?
The migratory pattern of birds (and other animals) is fascinating!
- How do they know where to migrate?
- How do they find their way?
Explore how birds and some other animals have a magnetic sense, which allows them to migrate successfully!
Get started with another video to learn how birds use magnetic fields to find their way.
Learn more about the magnetic sense of birds and other animals as you read the following resources.
Then, answer these questions.
- What is magnetoreception?
- How are birds able to see magnetic fields?
- What tiny particles are located in birds and other animals that help with their sense of direction?
- How is the earth like a magnet?
If you are unsure, check the answers below.
If you think you've got it, then move on to the Got It? section to experiment with magnetism.