Lesson Plan - Get It!
Your Mom's friend and her son, Jake, are coming over for lunch. Your Mom told you that she would like for you to play with Jake when he comes over. When Jake arrives, you see that he brought some of his G.I. Joes with him. You really wanted to play a board game with him. What do you do?
Today, you will be learning about the character trait respect.
What does the word respect mean to you?
- Showing consideration for other people and their property.
- Caring for ourselves, family, community, and school.
- Appreciating and accepting individual differences.
- Treating others the way that you would want to be treated.
What are some ways that you can show respect? Below are some examples of ways that you can show respect:
- Use kind words and good manners.
- Listen to what others have to say.
- Follow the rules.
- Appreciate differences among people.
- Take care of other people’s property at school, home, and in the community.
- Help others.
Work with a partner to brainstorm different ways that you can show respect. Once you have come up with a list of at least 5 different ways, draw a picture of one of the ways that you can show respect.
Watch the following Sesame Street: Respect video to help you brainstorm ways to show respect:
Please watch the following Berenstain Bears video book, Show Some Respect (below):
- How did Brother show disrespect in the book?
- How did Sister show disrespect?
- How did Mama Bear and Papa Bear show disrespect?
- How do you think Grams and Gramps felt when they were disrespected?
- What happened to make Brother, Sister, Mama, and Papa change their attitudes?
- How did they change their attitudes?