Lesson Plan - Get It!
Have you visited a factory, a farm, or another place of business and wondered what it would be like to work there? Job shadowing can help you understand the responsibilities and environment of a particular job.
- Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be a dancer, news anchor, radio talk show host, physical therapist, pharmacist, or chef?
The list can go on and on.
Well, now is your chance to find out what a typical day is like in an occupation of your choice!
We are talking about job shadowing, and you will have the opportunity to set up your own job shadowing experience!
Job shadowing is a career-exploration activity that allows job seekers to spend time with a professional who works in their career field of interest. It’s a great way to learn about the day-to-day activities of a specific occupation and get an idea of whether or not you are interested in pursuing a career in this field.
There are many ways you can benefit from job shadowing. You will:
- get a more realistic view about what it’s like to work in a specific career.
- learn about a career that may be unfamiliar to you.
- gain a better understanding of what you want and don’t want in a future career.
- gain experience to include in your résumé.
- develop networking contacts.
- learn about the issues and problems that are encountered in a specific field.
Continue on to the Got It? section to build your list of potential careers!