Lesson Plan - Get It!
Q: There was a boy named Square. What do you think his dance was called?
A: A square dance!
What would your dance be called? People around the world dance in many different ways and listen to many different types of music. This is going to be more fun than a dancing giraffe! (Go ahead, read on!)
- Have you ever noticed that people in different places or circumstances often listen to different types of music?
Music provides a way for us to express our emotions, our values, and even our preferences.
- Can you think of a song that your parents love but you do not enjoy?
There are probably songs that you love but your parents do not like.
- Why do you think you have such different preferences?
- Is it the sound of the music or the lyrics? Or is it both?
- Do you find yourself enjoying different types of music depending on how you are feeling?
We may listen to soothing music, like classical music, to help us relax or fall asleep. We may listen to pop or rock 'n' roll music when we want to feel energized or excited. People often express these different ideas and feelings through dancing. The types of dances and musical instruments often change from place to place. Irish dancers, like those pictured below, dance jigs, while Native American dancers perform the Jingle Dance.
Below is a video that shows ten traditional dances from around the world. As you watch, feel free to dance along with the people in the video. Think about the following questions:
- What are some instruments that are used?
- Which dancer (from what country) uses only his body to make music?
- How do the costumes complement the music and dances?
- Does hearing the music and watching the dances tell you something about each culture?
Top 10 Traditional Dances in the World, posted by Top 10
- What was your favorite dance and music? Why?
Continue to the Got It? section to hear a funny story about a giraffe who can’t dance!