Lesson Plan - Get It!
Did you know that for hundreds of years, people used dripping water to tell time? Those devices, like the one pictured above, were known as water clocks. Amazing how things have changed!
We are going to dive right in and learn more about how we tell time today compared to the methods people used hundreds of years ago!
Today, we use analog clocks and digital clocks.
- What type of clock do you use most in your home?
In this lesson, we are going to focus on telling time to the nearest hour with an analog clock. We are going to focus on the hour hand and minute hand, and how to state the time in the correct way.
Watch Tell Time for Kids | How to Tell Time to the Hour | Telling the Time | Telling Time | Time for Kids, from Learning Time Fun:
Wasn’t that so exciting? Moby the Robot always makes me smile!
- Could you imagine telling time with dripping water?
I know I sure am happy that analog clocks were invented! Let’s take a look at some analog clocks now and see if we can write the correct time.
- There are 12 analog clocks with a space below to write the correct time on the Telling time Worksheet, from homeschoolmath.net.
- Now that you’ve practiced writing the digital time, try drawing the hands on the clock to tell the analog time! Use this worksheet from Math Worksheets 4 Kids on Drawing Hands - Hours to practice!
Talk with your parent or teacher about any questions you have about telling time to the nearest hour.
- What did you learn from the Telling Time for Kids video?
- Did you find anything difficult?
When you are ready, continue on to the Got It? section to review what you've learned and play a time-telling game!