Lesson Plan - Get It!
- Did you know math is not just numbers?
Here's the word on story problems!
Words are an important part of math.
They help you understand how you will use most math skills in your life. It is important to be able to find the important information in a word or story problem in order find the correct solution.
One kind of math story is an addition story problem. Addition story problems are stories that involve words such as "plus" or "more" within the story. You may also see problems that say that there is "some" amount, and "some more" is added to make a total. The total amount comes from combining or adding two amounts within the story. You can write an addition equation to help you answer these types of questions.
When you are faced with solving an addition story problem, follow these steps:
- Sort out the important information in the story problem (Underline the question.).
- Write the equation (Circle the important numbers and details.).
- Find the missing number (Solve the problem.).
- Ask yourself: Does the answer make sense? Is the answer reasonable? (Check your work.)
- What do you want to know?
- Where could you start?
- What strategies, including drawing objects or pictures, can help you solve the problem?
Now that you know the steps needed to solve combining story problems, let's go practice in the Got It? section!