Lesson Plan - Get It!
Relax for a moment, then answer this question:
- "What is something I need right now?"
- When you told your teacher or parent something that you need, was it something you really need, or something that you want?
Everything you feel you should have falls into one of two categories: needs and wants.
- Needs are things like food and water that you must have in order to stay alive and healthy.
- Wants are things you would like to have, but not having them will not put you in a life-threatening situation.
In this lesson, you will learn about the things that all humans need.
There are certain things all humans need to live.
All humans need food to live. Food is the fuel that keeps our bodies going. The food we eat provides us with nutrients that are turned into energy, and that energy does everything in your body, from keeping your heart beating to giving you that boost to make it across the monkey bars! Just like cars run out of gas, our bodies run out of fuel, and we need to refill on more nutritious food to keep our bodies strong and healthy.
- What do you think would happen if you didn’t have any food to eat?
Tell your teacher or parent. Without food, your body would run out of energy and stop working.
Humans also need water to survive.
- Did you know that your body is made up of 60% water, your brain is 70% water, and your lungs are 90% water?
People are just like the earth: we are made up mostly of water, and just like the sun dries up water on the earth and we need rain to replenish it, our bodies lose water through sweat and going to the bathroom. When we lose water, we need to drink water to add it back to our bodies to keep it in balance. In fact, water is so important to humans that we can only live for few days without it!
Another thing humans need is shelter.
- What do you think shelter means?
Tell your teacher or parent. Shelter is the place where you live. You may live in a house, a townhome, an apartment, a trailer, or a condo. These are all examples of shelters. Where we live keeps us warm and dry. Tell your teacher or parent what would happen if you did not have a place to live.
Finally, humans need clothing. You need different types of clothing, depending on what season it is, and what the weather is like. For example, in the cold winter months, you need warm clothes, such as a coat, hat, and gloves. In the summer, you need clothes that help to keep you coo,l such as shorts and t-shirts.
Food, water, shelter, and clothing are things all humans need to survive. Sometimes, people have specific needs based on where they live or their particular situation.
Move on to the Got It? section to decide what needs people have in certain situations.