Lesson Plan - Get It!
Many people take pride in their vehicle. For some, however, a vehicle is a way to get from one point to another, or to transport goods from place to place.
- In what ways, though, could a vehicle be considered a work of art?
- What is the most artistic vehicle you have ever seen?
Lots of people spend money on keeping their vehicles extra clean, waxing them, even getting fancy paint jobs.
Truck drivers in Pakistan, however, have taken this concern with appearances to a whole other level. Even though they make little money, they sometimes spend thousands of dollars to transform their ride into a work of art on wheels. The results are sometimes astonishing.
Read more about this authentic form of folk art and feast your eyes on some examples of these richly decorated trucks. As you read Art on Wheels: The Magnificent Truck Art of Pakistan, courtesy of Webist Media, write down the information and ideas that answer the following questions:
- Why did drivers begin decorating their trucks and buses?
- What are the five categories of decoration the article mentions?
- How do the different regions impact the way the vehicles are decorated?
- Based on the images you see, what kinds of materials do you think are used to decorate the vehicles?
Share your findings with your parent or teacher. Then, reflect on the following questions and discuss:
- Why would someone spend so much money to decorate his or her truck?
- What purpose does this kind of public folk art serve? What value does it have for society?
- What feelings do the decorative designs on these vehicles invoke? Why do you think so?
These truck designs are so elaborate and complex that you could get lost in all the shapes, patterns, and colors.
In the Got It? section, take a closer look at some of these dazzling truck designs and capture some of your favorite design elements.