Lesson Plan - Get It!
- Did you know all frogs are born with tails?
- Do you know what happens to their tails?
- Have you ever seen a frog?
- What do you know about frogs?
All frogs hatch from eggs.
- Can you think of some other animals that hatch from eggs?
Birds, lizards, snakes, and many other animals hatch from eggs. In this lesson, you will learn all about the life cycle of frogs.
Look at the picture below.
- Can you spot the baby frogs inside the eggs?
- Did you know all frogs lay their eggs in water?
When a frog hatches from an egg, it is a very small creature. These little guys are called tadpoles. At first, tadpoles only have a head and a tail.
Look at the tadpoles below:
As the tadpole gets older, it will start to look more like an adult frog.
- First, the tadpole will grow back legs.
- After its back legs grow, the front legs will start to grow.
- When a tadpole has all four legs, it is called a froglet.
- As the frog continues to grow, the tail will get smaller and smaller until it eventually disappears.
Look at the tadpoles with legs below.
- Can you see how the tadpole is changing as it grows older?
Image by Pearson Scott Foresman, via Wikimedia Commons, was released into the public domain.
The last part of the frog life cycle is when the tadpole finally grows into a frog.
Look at all the different frogs below. They come in many different colors!
Before moving on to the next section, explain out loud what a froglet is.
Great work! Move on to the Got It? section to see the frog life cycle in action!