Lesson Plan - Get It!
Have you ever made a Thanksgiving Tree?
- Would you like to learn what a Thanksgiving tree is?
- Would you like to create a Thanksgiving tree?
- Sound like fun? It is!
You might need your parent or teacher to help you read this lesson so you know what to do. That is OK. If so, make sure they are near you to help.
First, you are going to learn about the very first Thanksgiving. Read Squanto: Friend to the Pilgrims, from Social Studies for Kids, to learn about Squanto, a Native American known for helping the Pilgrims. Afterward, answer and talk about these questions together:
- Who was the explorer who Squanto accompanied?
- What Native American tribe captured Squanto?
- What English colony was Squanto told to meet by the leader of the Wampanoag?
- What did he teach the English settlers?
- What year did Squanto die?
- What did William Bradford say about Squanto's death?
For a more in-depth understanding of what the word "thanksgiving" means, read the definitions below. Click on the blue button to hear the definitions out loud.
You now know the story of the first Thanksgiving and know what the word "thanksgiving" means. Now that you know it, you are ready to make a Thanksgiving tree!
- Are you ready to have fun learning what a Thanksgiving tree is and making one?
Then, move along to the Got It? section!