Lesson Plan - Get It!
- What comes to mind when you hear the term political party?
- Is it something like the video below?
No! Political parties have nothing to do with things typically associated with parties, such as celebrations, balloons, music, and dancing.
Rather, political parties are groups of people who influence how the American government operates.
Maybe you heard the term on the news. Today, political parties define our political ideology and how we participate in government.
- So what is a political party, and what does it do?
Political parties try to influence government so legislation they think is important can be enacted.
As you watch the video below, take notes on the five main objectives of political parties.
- Did you write down all five purposes of political parties?
According to the video, the five main roles of political parties are the following.
- Recruit candidates.
- Nominate candidates.
- Get out the vote.
- Facilitate electoral choice.
- Influence national government.
Continue to the Got It? section to explore these roles further.