Lesson Plan - Get It!
You are given a cookie jar, enough large rocks to fill it, a glass of pebbles, a glass of sand, and a pitcher of water (Not as appealing as cookies, right?).
- Is it possible to fit all the items into the cookie jar?
Watch Rocks in a Jar (below):
Knowing the order of a task makes finishing the task easier.
- What if the order of filling the jar were reversed?
- How many attempts did it take?
- How would you teach the order of the task to another person?
- What life lesson do you think you learned while accomplishing the task?
(Use the "Hook" video for help on teaching the life lesson.)
Bottom Line: When organizing an essay, know what and how you want to communicate before you begin to write.
Organization means the logical progression and completeness of ideas in a text.
Watch the following video, How to Organize Your Essay, then discuss how the short video related to the activity you previously completed:
Just like the opening activity, there is a correctly-organized approach to writing an essay: start with your main idea, add your supporting information, and sprinkle in details and quotations!
- Where else do we need to have organization in our lives?
Take at least 3 pictures with a camera or phone of areas in your life that need organization.