Lesson Plan - Get It!
Keep reading to learn why asking questions is so important!
Being a good listener helps you to understand better what someone is saying.
- Did you know that participating is just as important as listening?
It's true! Replying to a speaker and asking questions allows you to learn exactly what is being said and lets you share ideas.
Asking questions while listening can help you check your understanding, stay on topic, and connect your ideas with the speakers.
- What questions can you ask to check your understanding?
- Did you mean...?
- Did I hear you correctly when you said...?
- Can you explain that another way?
- Am I right thinking that you said...?
- What questions can you ask to stay on topic?
- Can you tell me more about...?
- What else do you think about that?
- How do you feel about that?
- What happened next?
- What questions can link your ideas to the speaker's?
- I think... Do you agree or disagree?
- What do you think about...?
- On that topic, did you know...?
- Can you think of any other questions that would help you understand what someone is saying?
Yes! Asking who, what, where, when, and how questions are always helpful.
Remember, asking good questions helps you be a good listener.
- It shows you are paying attention to the speaker and are interested in what is being shared.
- It helps you better understand the information.
- It keeps you focused on what the other person is saying.
Just be sure not to interrupt someone when asking questions. It is also essential to listen to the answers!
Move on to the Got It? section to practice good listening!