Lesson Plan - Get It!
Stories are so much fun to read! Stories have characters, and those characters have adventures!
- What is your favorite story?
- Who are the characters in that story?
- Do they all have the same experiences and adventures in the story? Or are they different?
Let's read a story called The Ant and the Grasshopper, by Diane Marwood and Gabriele Antonini.
One character in this story is a grasshopper. The other characters are ants.
We will meet these different characters, and we will read about what they get to see.
We will read about what they get to do.
We will get to see what is the same and what is different about their experiences.
Watch THE ANT AND THE GRASSHOPPER/ Aesop's Fables / CHILDREN'S BOOK READ ALOUD from KidStory Time With Iffy:
Let's talk about what the characters saw and did in the story.
- What was the grasshopper doing in the beginning of the story?
The grasshopper was laying in the hot sun. The grasshopper was singing too!
- What were the ants doing in the beginning of the story?
The ants were finding grain and storing it for the winter.
The grasshopper and the ants were doing different things. They had different experiences.
- What happened to the grasshopper when the winter came?
The grasshopper was cold and hungry.
- What happened to the ants when the winter came?
The ants were warm and ate their grain.
In stories like this one, there are different characters. Sometimes, characters do different things and see different things. They have different experiences.
Good work comparing the characters and their experiences.
Now, move on to the Got It? section to practice!