Lesson Plan - Get It!
- Have you ever wanted to live in a fairy tale?
Watch Living in a Fairytale - Live on Stage, from Hi-5 World, and maybe it will make you want to!
- What is your favorite fairy tale, also known as a traditional tale?
- What do you remember about it? Who is your favorite character in it?
- Why do you think they are so important to people?
Keep reading to see what exactly a traditional tale is!
Traditional tales are sometimes called fairy tales.
In this lesson, you will learn what makes a story a traditional tale. You will also learn about the story elements of traditional tales and look for those elements in tales.
This will help you to know what to look for when you're reading this genre (or type) of book, which will help you to understand these tales better. These kinds of stories are also just plain fun to read!
Before we get started, let's review what you already know:
- Setting is where a story takes place.
- A problem is something that goes wrong.
- A solution is how the problem is solved or fixed.
- A theme is a lesson that the author is teaching you about your own life.
Traditional tales are a type of fiction.
Fiction means books that are written about characters and events that did not really happen. Fiction books have a setting, problem, solution, and theme.
Traditional tales are fiction, so traditional tales have a setting, problem, solution, and theme too.
Traditional tales also have unique elements, which means these things are only found in traditional tales.
Look at these traditional tale elements:
- They are stories passed down by people for a long time
- They are stories people have heard told and retold again and again, sometimes in ways that are just a little bit different.
- They usually have talking animals as characters.
- They include magic and things that could NOT happen in real life.
Examples of traditional tales include folktales, fables, tall tales, and legends.
Let's review with Introduction to Fairy Tales from Amy Maple:
Now, look at the image chart below to see everything you've learned:
You just learned a lot about traditional tales!
- Are you ready to do some work with this type of book?
Head over to the Got It? section!