Lesson Plan - Get It!
The Olympic games make people cheer, and sometimes make them cry. Watch the Top 10 Inspirational Moments From The Olympics by WatchMojo.com.
- What makes each of these moments in modern Olympic history so powerful?
The Olympics are a source of unity for the many nations of the world.
Every four years, the games give people around the world a sense of belonging and togetherness, even as they cheer for their home team to win the gold!
The purpose of the Olympics has changed over the centuries. In fact, the games had not been played for many hundreds of years until they were revived in modern times.
Learn more about the history of the Olympics with the article, The Olympic Games, courtesy of A+E Television Networks. As you read, collect and record information to answer the following questions:
- Where were the original Olympic games played?
- What was the original purpose of the Olympic games?
- How were the Olympic games revived?
- What was the purpose in reviving the games in modern times?
Share your findings with your parent or teacher, then reflect on the following questions and discuss:
- What role did sports play in the ancient world?
- Why do the Olympics remain so popular with fans today?
You've had the chance to get an overview of the Olympic games over the centuries. In the Got It? section, let's zero in on the actual competitions that made up the original Olympiad.