Lesson Plan - Get It!
"Put your right foot in, put your right foot out, put your right foot in and shake it all about! Do the Hokey Pokey and you turn yourself around, that's what it's all about!"
- Have you ever done the Hokey Pokey?
Let's try the whole song!
Singing this song is easy since there is a repeating pattern throughout the song! Here is a video of the Hokey Pokey song by The Learning Station. Follow along and have fun!
- During the song, did you hear words that repeated in the Hokey Pokey?
- What were they?
The person who created the song made the song repeat so everyone doing the dance would know what to do next. They made a pattern for the words.
- Do you know other songs that have a pattern to them?
How about "Head Shoulders Knees & Toes"? Follow along with the song from Super Simple Learning in the video below:
- What is the pattern in this song?
The words repeat in the same order.
- Would it be hard to follow along with the song if they named different body parts each time they sang the song?
It would! The pattern helps to know what to sing next in the song and which body parts to touch as you sing!
Share your answer with your teacher.
Patterns help us organize our world. Knowing what comes next, even in a song, makes it easier for our brain to know what to do!