Lesson Plan - Get It!
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution of the United States of America. Wow!
- Do we realize how unique this is?
The Preamble begins with the words, “We the People.” The writers of the Constitution wanted to make it clear that the government’s power would come from the people and not from a single ruler. They wanted to make it clear that the government exists to serve the people and that the government must answer to the people.
1. Examine the Preamble of the U.S. Constitution from Heritage.org.
2. Watch the video Preamble | Principles of the Constitution from FreedomProject Media below.
3. Look for the following terms in the Preamble:
4. What do the terms mean? Visit the following link from Kids.laws.com to help you define the terms: Preamble of the Constitution.
5. Draw a picture of the terms on the Cube Template found under Downloadable Resources in the right-hand sidebar. Print out the cube and illustrate each term in the Preamble. Put the cube together. See if a friend or family member can guess which terms from the Preamble you illustrated.